The American Nuclear Society is a nonprofit, international, scientific and educational organization. It was established in 1954 at the National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C., by a group who recognized the need to unify professional activities within the diverse fields of nuclear science and technology. It assists its members in their efforts to develop and safely apply nuclear science and technology for public benefit through knowledge exchange, professional development and enhanced public understanding. Its membership composes of approximately 10,500 engineers, scientists, administrators and educators representing more than 1600 corporations, educational institutions and government agencies. A board of directors elected by members governs it. In 2004 ANS celebrated its 50 years among its professional divisions, committees, local and student sections and plant branches Its headquarters is in La Grange Park, Ill.