The village was originally in territory claimed by the Sauk and Fox Indians, and several Woodland era Native mounds are located in the village limits, and in the adjacent Illiniwek Forest Preserve. The village in 1834 was platted as "Milan" (not the village 13 miles south-southwest in Illinois—see Milan, Illinois for more). The "paper town" did not sell initially because of the swampy riverfront, and being adjacent to the north end of the Rock Island Rapids. However, settlers drained the swamps by the end of the 19th Century, and the village was founded by 1900 as Hampton—ironically, the original name of Milan, Illinois. Black's Store, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was the first mercantile store to open in Northwest Illinois.
Hampton is located at 41°33?27?N 90°24?29?W / 41.5575°N 90.40806°W / 41.5575; -90.40806 (41.557583, -90.407993).