The Village of Hinckley has a memorable history. In the 1830s, a Mr. Hollenbeck (who lived near Ottawa) was traveling the then-unsettled territory. He found a fine grove of trees west of the present-day Hinckley, and named the grove after the squaws who were tending camp.
Back in Ottawa, word spread of the undeveloped land, and in the spring of 1835, John Sebree built a log house. The next year saw more families come to the area and soon a small town was started at the west edge of what is now Hinckley. The town's name was Squaw Grove.