Cannelton is a city in Troy Township, Perry County, Indiana, United States, along the Ohio River. The population was 1,209 at the 2000 census. Cannelton, which is the smallest incorporated city in the state, was formerly the county seat of Perry County until the seat was relocated to Tell City. The name Cannelton was adopted in 1844 is derived from the cannel coal that was once mined in the area.
Cannelton is located at 37°54′36″N 86°44′24″W / 37.91°N 86.74°W / 37.91; -86.74 (37.910134, -86.739931).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.5 square miles (4.0 km²), of which, 1.5 square miles (3.8 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (4.52%) is water. Cannelton is home to Cannelton High School