Danville is a town in Center Township, Hendricks County, Indiana, United States. The population was 9,001 at the 2010 census. The town is the county seat of Hendricks County.
Danville was founded in 1827 and was the home of Central Indiana Normal College from 1878 to 1951 (it existed under the name Canterbury College from 1946 to 1951). CNC was one of the nation's early "normal" schools, which specialized in training teachers. Tuition in 1900 was $19 for two terms. Canterbury College closed in 1951 after graduating more than 75,000 teachers. The Danville Middle School used to be on the site of the former college, and utilized part of the original campus, Hargrave Hall. It's now being used as the Town Hall and houses the offices of the Town Manager, Building/Planning, Clerk Treasurer, Utility Billing/Collections, and Police Department.
The Hendricks County Historical Museum is located in the former Sheriff's Residence and Jail at 170 South Washington in Danville. The building was erected in 1866 and served as the county jail until 1974. The two-story brick structure, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is the only surviving example of the Second Empire style of architecture in the county. This style was popular after the American Civil War and has as defining elements a central tower and mansard roof. The Museum's collection includes items relating to domestic life, agriculture, military history, education and other aspects of our county's heritage. It also includes items relating to the history of Indiana Central Normal College (later Canterbury College), which was located in Danville from 1878 until 1951.