Linton is a city in Stockton Township, Greene County, Indiana, United States. The population was 5,413 at the 2010 census. Historically a coal mining city, it is located southeast of Terre Haute.
Linton is part of the Bloomington, Indiana, Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Linton was essentially founded around the entrepreneuring of John W. Wines, who first sold goods in the Linton area, briefly in 1831. Although he would later relocate to Fairplay, Indiana, he returned and opened a general store in Linton in 1837. He would later build a small horse mill as well as a tannery, and started a recurring fur trade with the French in Vincennes. The city itself was officially chartered and named in June 1850, laid out by Hannah E. Osborn and Isaac V. Coddington. In the late 19th century, small underground coal mines began to appear near and almost inside the city and the population expanded rapidly. At the turn of the 20th century, the population was larger than it is today. At one point in the 1920s, there were at least 35 drinking establishments and an equal number of churches.
With the proximity to Goosepond State Recreational Area and Redbird State Recreational Area, Linton offers multiple opportunites for outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, off-roading and fishing.