New Haven, IN
New Haven is a city in Adams, Jefferson, and St. Joseph townships, Allen County, Indiana, United States. It is adjacent to the city of Fort Wayne, the second largest city in Indiana, and is situated mostly along the southern banks of the Maumee River. The population was 14,794 at the 2010 census.
New Haven was platted by Henry Burgess, and was incorporated as a town under Indiana law in 1865. It became incorporated as a city in 1963. Several homes built by the Burgess family remain in New Haven. A Burgess home on Summit Street is the oldest brick structure in Jefferson Township. Henry Burgess' son-in-law, E.W. Green built a large frame Greek Revival house on the hill above what is now Central Lutheran School. Another Burgess structure remains at the corner of Summit and Eben Streets.
New Haven's history has been shaped significantly by transportation. It was located along the Wabash and Erie Canal (the Gronauer Lock of the canal was unearthed during construction of Interstate 469 in the late-1980s, and is now on display at the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis). Later, the city was served by the Wabash and Nickel Plate Railroads. Norfolk Southern Railway maintains a significant operation in New Haven today. U.S. Routes 24 and 30 (the historic Lincoln Highway), as well as Interstate 469, serve residents.