Warsaw is a city in Indiana and the county seat of, Kosciusko County, Indiana, United States. Cradled among Winona Lake, Pike Lake, Hidden Lake and Center Lake, Warsaw is nicknamed "Lake City," though other cities in the surrounding area are also referred to by that nickname. As of the 2010 census, Warsaw has a population of 13,559.
Warsaw, named for the capital of Poland in tribute to Thaddeus Kosciusko, was platted on October 21, 1836. Early Warsaw contained traders, trappers, and merchants supplying manufactured goods to area farmers. Because of the central location in the lake region, tourists soon began visiting Warsaw and eventually made permanent residences in the city, with industry soon following.
In March 1854, Warsaw became a town, and the initial census on February 2, 1854 showed a total of 752 residents in the town limits. The Pennsylvania Railroad (then known as the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago Railroad) reached Warsaw in November 1854. The Big Four Railroad (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St Louis) arrived in Warsaw in August 1870.