Peterson is a city in Clay County, Iowa, United States. The population was 334 in the 2010 census, a decline from 372 in the 2000 census.
Peterson was established in 1856. In 1862 a fort was built in Peterson by settlers to defend against anticipated Dakota attacks during the Dakota War of 1862. The fort was never attacked. The blockhouse from this fort still stands near its original location at the corner of Second and Park. The Peterson Patriot has been in print since 1880. The Peterson sesquicentennial was celebrated August 3–5, 2006.
Peterson's longitude and latitude coordinates
in decimal form are 42.918490, -95.341502.
It is situated near the Little Sioux River.