Kansas State University is one of six universities governed by the Kansas Board of Regents. The university was founded in 1863 and continues to fulfill its educational mission in teaching, research and public service. The 664-acre campus is in Manhattan, 125 miles west of Kansas City via Interstate 70 in the rolling Flint Hills of northeast Kansas. Under an enactment of the 1991 Kansas Legislature, the Salina campus, 70 miles west of Manhattan, was established through a merger of the former Kansas College of Technology with the university. Additional university sites include 18,000 acres in the four branch locations of the Agricultural Experiment Station (Hays, Garden City, Colby, and Parsons) and 8,600 acres in the Konza Prairie Research Natural Area jointly operated by the AES and the Division of Biology.