On February 12, 1850, an Anglican group was incorporated as St. Philip's Episcopal Church. The cornerstone was laid on April 17, 1860, and the church building was dedicated May 15, 1861. Design and construction were supervised by the Right Reverend Benjamin Bosworth Smith, first Bishop of Kentucky. Bishop Smith carved a wooden model, including the furniture, to be used as a "blueprint" for the building, patterned after a small church in England that he had attended as a boy. Bishop Smith carved the free-standing altar, three ecclesiastical chairs and communion rail. Other notable interior features include the baptismal font of fine, old china and leaded stained glass windows (with etching) of probable European import. The first service was held September 12, 1861. The church was saved from damage during the Civil War by a young lieutenant under the command of General Leonidas Polk. On October 9, 1862, the day after the Battle of Perryville, the Fighting Bishop of the Confederacy, retreating with his beleaguered troops to Harrodsburg, saw church doors standing open. He entered and asked that the bell be tolled. Then he prayed for the men on both sides, "friend and foe alike". Even though our numbers have never been great, we are an energetic congregation. This is shown by a major restoration in 1983 and another in 1999. The building was stabilized, air conditioning was added, a new copper roof installed, and windows, walls and brick exterior were repaired. This was accomplished with generous donations from members and friends of St. Philip's We pray that we may continue to grow in numbers and spirit as a progressive team consisting of our congregation and our new priest.