Paintsville is a city in Johnson County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 3,459 at the 2010 census
On June 9, 2009, Paintsville became a "wet" city for the first time since March 14, 1945. This permits some stores located within city limits to sell alcoholic beverages.
Paintsville serves as the county seat of Johnson County. It is located along the mouth of Paint Creek at the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy River. Originally called Paint Lick Station, the town was established in 1834, after being laid out in 1826. Paint Lick Station was referred to in military dispatches as early as 1780. Paint Creek and Paintsville were named in reference to drawings found on trees, believed to be drawn by Native Americans. It is believed that the post office was originally known as Paint Creek, but was renamed Paintsville before 1843. The founder of the town is acknowledged to be William Henry Dixon.