Elsmore is a city situated in the southeastern part of Allen County, located in southeast Kansas, in the Central United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 77.
The old town of Elsmore, which for several years was the center of attraction for the citizens of Elsmore Township, was located farther west, not far from Big Creek. On August 25, 1888, after the route of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas R.R. from Kansas City to Parsons had been definitely settled, N.L. Ard, J.L. Roberts, J.A. Nicholson, W.D. and H.W. Cox, and O.P. Mattson, purchased 20 acres (81,000 m2) where the present town of Elsmore stands and platted the town. It soon became a popular trading center and shipping point for that section of the county, and in 1909 was incorporated. In 1910 it reported a population of 216 and had a money order postoffice (first opened in November 1866) with two rural delivery routes, a bank, several good stores, some small manufacturing enterprises, telegraph and express facilities.
Elsmore is located at 37°47′39″N 95°8′58″W / 37.79417°N 95.14944°W / 37.79417; -95.14944 (37.794222, -95.149458), in Section 7, Township 26 south, Range 21 east. Elsmore is situated in the southeastern part of the county in Elsmore Township, some 15 miles (24 km) southeast of the city of Iola (the county seat). U.S. Route 59 passes west of the city, and K-203 is a short connector (less than a mile) between US-59 and the city. The small city of Savonburg lies about 3 miles (4.8 km) to the south, and the larger city of Moran is about nine miles (14 km) to the north (along US-59).