Geuda Springs, KS
Geuda Springs is a city in Cowley and Sumner counties in the U.S. state of Kansas. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 185.
Geuda Springs is located at 37°6′44″N 97°9′3″W / 37.11222°N 97.15083°W / 37.11222; -97.15083 (37.112264, -97.150870). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.2 km²), all land.
On the line between Cowley and Sumner counties is a remarkable group of salt springs that flow from 100 to 450 gallons each per hour, that have been known since the earliest settlement of that section. These springs are on a branch of the St. Louis & San Francisco railroad, a little to the north of the town of Geuda Springs and about 7 miles (11 km) from Arkansas City. The waters from these springs strongly impregnate the waters in the creeks in the vicinity. A lake formed by the creek near these springs has been greatly enlarged by damming the creek and now covers about 50 acres (200,000 m2), making it the largest body of salt water in the state. Geuda is said to be an Indian word, Ge-u-da, meaning healing springs, and the place must have been a well known stopping place with the Indians. Many improvements were made at the springs during the latter 1880's, including bath-house and hotel, improving the lake, laying out drives, etc. Much of the water has been bottled and shipped to points in Kansas and adjoining states. The water has sodium chloride, sodium phosphate, sodium bromide, sodium iodide, sodium nitrate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium biborate, potassium sulfate, lithium chloride, calcium sulfate, calcium bicarbonate, magnesium sulfate, magnesium chloride, iron bicarbonate, alumina, silica, and organic matter. About 1890 a dam with a flume outlet was built across the salt marsh just north of the springs, which was the means of covering the whole marsh with water and affording excellent boating.