La Harpe, KS
La Harpe is a city situated in the central part of Allen County, located in southeast Kansas, in the Central United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 578.
La Harpe was founded by the Fort Scott, Wichita & Western Railroad company (later the Missouri Pacific), and was platted in 1881. When natural gas was discovered in the immediate vicinity in 1899 the city began to grow more rapidly and soon rose to be a city of importance. It was incorporated as a city of the second class, and in 1910 had some of the largest zinc smelters in the world, two banks, an opera house, several good mercantile establishments, a newspaper, and all the municipal improvements usually found in cities of that class. The population that year was 2,080. Its post office, first opened in November 1881, was authorized to issue international money orders, and two rural routes supplied mail to the surrounding country.
La Harpe is located at 37°54′56″N 95°17′59″W / 37.91556°N 95.29972°W / 37.91556; -95.29972 (37.915631, -95.299729). Situated along U.S. Route 54 in the central part of Allen County, La Harpe is about 5½ miles east of the city of Iola (the county seat), 2½ miles east of Gas, and about seven miles west of the junction of U.S. Routes 54 and 59 and the city of Moran.