Phillipsburg is a city in and the county seat of Phillips County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 2,581.
Phillipsburg was named for politician and Civil War colonel William A. Phillips. Phillips County was named for another William Phillips, a Free-State supporter who was murdered September 1, 1856. The city was founded in 1872. In 1873 a log stockade, called Fort Bissell was hastily built by settlers as a defense against Indians on the property of John Bissell three miles from town on Bissell Creek. Never attacked by Indians, it was abandoned in 1878. The city grew rapidly in the late 19th and early 20th centuries as a result of the Rock Island railroad which went through town.
In 1951, an oil refinery was built on the north edge of town which also helped the local economy until it was closed in the late 1980s. TAMKO Building Products is now the largest manufacturer in the city. In 2007, an ethanol plant was built at the east side of Phillipsburg.