Strong City, KS
Strong City is a city in Chase County, Kansas, United States. It is named after William Barstow Strong, former president of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 485.
In 1871, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway extended a main line from Emporia to Newton. Strong City originated in March 1871 when the railway was completed to the point then known as Cottonwood Station. In February 1881, a petition was signed by a majority of the citizens, to change the name to Strong, in honor of William Barstow Strong General Superintendent, and later President of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. In 1945, "City" was added to the name Strong.
In 1887, Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway built a branch line from Neva (3 miles west of Strong City) to Superior, Nebraska. This branch line connected Strong City, Neva, Rockland, Diamond Springs, Burdick, Lost Springs, Jacobs, Hope, Navarre, Enterprise, Abilene, Talmage, Manchester, Longford, Oak Hill, Miltonvale, Aurora, Huscher, Concordia, Kackley, Courtland, Webber, Superior. At some point, the line from Neva to Lost Springs was pulled but the right of way has not been abandoned. This branch line was originally called "Strong City and Superior line" but later the name was shortened to the "Strong City line".