Campbellsville is a city in Taylor County, Kentucky, United States. The population within city limits was 10,498 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Taylor County, and the home of Campbellsville University. Campbellsville is twinned with Buncrana, County Donegal, Ireland.
The city was founded in 1817 and laid out by Andrew Campbell, who had moved there from Augusta County, Virginia. Campbell owned a gristmill and a tavern, and began selling lots in Campbellsville in 1814. Campbellsville became the county seat when Taylor County was separated from Green County in 1848. The city agreed to sell the public square to the county for one dollar so a courthouse could be built there.
The first courthouse was burned by Confederate cavalry in 1864 because the Union Army was using it for barracks. A replacement courthouse was built on the same site after the war. A third courthouse in a modern design was built in 1965 on a property adjoining the "old courthouse". A portion of the old courthouse still stands near the current (3rd) courthouse.