Covington is a city in and the parish seat of St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 8,483 at the 2000 census. It is located at a fork of the Bogue Falaya and the Tchefuncte River.
Covington is part of the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The earliest known settlement by Europeans in the area was in 1800 by Jacques Dreux. In 1813 John Wharton Collins established a town there with the name of Wharton. He is buried on the corner of the city cemetery directly across from the Covington Police Department.