Jeanerette is a city in Iberia Parish, Louisiana, United States. Known as "Sugar City", it had a population of 5,997 at the 2000 census. It is part of the New Iberia Micropolitan Statistical Area.
In the 18th Century, the land on which Jeanerette now lies was originally procured from the Spanish government by Pierre Zerangue. Zerangue received an “order of survey and settlement” from Spain for 1,052 acres (4.26 km2). Under Spanish law, if someone occupied a piece of property for two years they could apply for title to the land under an “order of survey settlement.” Nicholas Provost secured the property from the present day Experimental farm to the St. Mary Parish line. He engaged in sugar cultivation until his death in 1816.
The town derived its name from John W. Jeanerette, a native of South Carolina who came to the area in the 1820s. First he worked as a tutor for a planter's family, as did numerous educated young adults from northerly states. Next he opened a store and saloon. Having saved some money, about 1830 Jeanerette purchased Pine Grove Plantation, formerly known as Beau Pré (meaning Lovely Meadow/pasture).