About Greater King DavidThe Greater King David Baptist Church enjoys a rich and glorious history dating back to 1922. The church, which derived its name from one of Biblical history's greatest kings, King David, evolved out of a division within New Light Baptist Church. The newly established church, located at 519 Crane Street, was consecrated in 1922 and consisted of approximately thirty-two members. During its formative years, King David Baptist Church, as it would later be called, also carried the name "New Light Baptist Church." This duality continued until 1925, when the Fourth District Association, refused to register two churches bearing the same name. It was at this juncture that the founding father and first Pastor, Reverend Willie Wheeler, along with the Benevolence Society ( which shared the Crane Street facility ) decided to name the new church "King David Baptist Church and Benevolence Society."In 1940, the church and the Benevolence Society parted ways and the church's name was shortened to "King David Baptist Church." The accelerated growth necessitated the construction of a larger edifice at the Crane Street location. Construction was completed in 1947 and other organizations were added under Reverend Brown's leadership: the Junior Choir, Junior Usher Board, Cherubim Choir, and the Baptist Training Union. Through the grace of God, property was purchased and construction of the new edifice began in the spring of 1973. Through many trials and tribulations, the beautiful edifice that we now occupy at 222 Blount Avenue was completed and consecrated in 1975. It was at this time that the church's name was officially changed to the "Greater King David Baptist Church". Greater King David Baptist Church continued to grow under Reverend Warner's leadership, and several additional auxiliaries were established: The Young Adult Choir, Christian Board of Education, Boy Scouts, Brotherhood Ministry, Sisterhood Ministry, Birth Month Clubs, Usher Board #2 and Deaconess Board #2. Reverend Warner retired in 1988 and was called home to rest in October of 1989.The sixth and current Pastor, Reverend John E. Montgomery, II, was elected in 1988. Pastor Montgomery brought to the church the "Movement" which involves the Master, His Mind, Mission, Means, and Methods. It is a way of life at Greater King David and covers the total church. This "Movement" has given birth to the "Movement of Christ Ministries, " where we are "Reaching the World Through the Word and Work of Christ." Since assuming his duties, Pastor Montgomery has established new programs, enhanced existing programs, and revised many previously abandoned programs. In April of 1992, under Pastor Montgomery's visionary leadership, Greater King David Baptist Church formally extended its evangelical "Movement" into the inner city portion of Baton Rouge at 7305 Harry Drive. Three years later, on April 2, 1995, the Greater King David Family dedicated unto the Lord the Inner City's new edifice. Due to tremendous growth in membership, we were prompted to hold two worship services at this location, at 7: 00am and 8: 30am while continuing the 11: 00am worship service at the Main Location each Sunday Morning. We now have in excess 4, 650 members and we are continuously growing and reaching new heights.