Granby is a town in Hampshire County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 6,420 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Springfield, Massachusetts Metropolitan Statistical Area. Part of the town is comprised in the census-designated place of Granby.
Granby was first settled in 1727 and was officially incorporated in 1768. The town is named in honor of John Manners, Marquess of Granby, a hero of the Seven Years War. Granby was originally part of Hadley and then South Hadley before being incorporated on June 11, 1768. Old Hadley was first settled in 1659 by people from Hartford and Wethersfield, Connecticut. These settlers left Connecticut because of religious differences within their communities. John Pynchon was commissioned to buy wilderness land in Massachusetts for their new community. Pynchon purchased the land from three Native American chiefs, Chickwallop, Umpanchala and Quontquont. Ownership was transferred to the settlers and confirmed by the General Court. These original boundaries include part of present day Granby.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 28.1 square miles (72.7 km²), of which, 27.9 square miles (72.2 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²) of it (0.71%) is water. Granby is bordered by South Hadley to the west, Amherst to the north, Belchertown to the east, and Ludlow and Chicopee to the south. Two highways pass through town. Route 202 runs eastward though town from South Hadley to Belchertown on East State Street and West State Street. Route 116 runs northeastward from South Hadley to Amherst along Amherst Road.