Milford is a town in Penobscot County, Maine, United States. It is located across the Penobscot River from Old Town, Maine. The population was 2,950 at the 2000 census. The town's slogan is "The Best Dam Town in Maine," referring to the dam abutting Milford on the Penobscot River, south of the Penobscot Indian Island Reservation.
Milford was a major sawmill site in the 19th century, with most of its lumber shipped from nearby Bangor, Maine. The large Bodwell Water Power Co. Saw-mills (1889), owned by Maine Governor Joseph Robinson Bodwell burned in 1891, almost taking the village with it. The present Bodwell Water Power Co. Plant, also known as the Milford Plant of the Bangor Hydro, was built in 1906 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was designed by Wallace C. Johnson, a civil engineer who also worked on hydro-power projects at Niagara Falls.
The Milford Congregational Church, designed and built by Asa T. Wing, is also listed on the National Register.