About Our Lady of Sorrows Church Our Lady of Sorrows has been the center of Catholic worship and devotion in Owensville, Maryland since its founding in 1866. The first church, of simple wood frame construction, underwent several restorations and enlargements until it was demolished in 1951 to make way for our current Georgian style church. The original church was dedicated as Our Lady of Dolors, but was soon anglicized as Our Lady of Sorrows. The new name refers to the Seven Sorrows endured by Mary. From its beginning as a country mission church, Our Lady of Sorrows was staffed by Redemptorist priests until 1890 when Marist Fathers moved into the area. The Marists remained until 1901 and Redemptorists of Annapolis once more took over the then mission of Our Lady of Sorrows. In 1951 the current Georgian colonial style church was begun and dedicated in 1953 as a new diocesan church, no longer a mission. The 1953 church was lovely but proved to be too small as the area grew.