Savage is a historic town located in Howard County, Maryland, about 12 miles (19 km) south of Baltimore and 20 miles (32 km) north of Washington, D.C. It is situated close to the city of Laurel and to the planned community of Columbia.
A rich vein of American industrial history lies in Savage. When the textile industry was in its heyday, Savage was an important manufacturing center, its mills harnessing the water power on the falls of the Little and Middle Patuxent Rivers.
The town was named for John Savage, a Philadelphia merchant with interest in a mill on the falls of the Patuxent. In 1822 he and his associates, the Williams brothers, chartered the Savage Manufacturing Company. The company produced sails for the clipper ships that sailed out of Baltimore Harbor, in addition to a wide variety of other cotton products.