Plymouth Congregational Church

582 Pleasant St
Belmont MA 02478

Sponsored Topics

Opening Hours

  • Mon: 10am-3pm
  • Tue: 10am-3pm
  • Wed: 10am-3pm
  • Thu: 10am-3pm
  • Fri: 10am-3pm
  • Sun: 10am-1pm

See a problem? Let us know!
Plymouth Church was founded in 1899 as a suburban mission church supported by the Massachusetts Missionary Church Society. This relationship continued until the church reached financial maturity in 1934. With the establishment of a building committee and formal plans to raise money, we became incorporated in 1900. Our church's constitution begins: "The object of this church shall be to bind together followers of Jesus Christ for the purposes of sharing in worship and making God's will dominant in the lives of men and women, individually and collectively, especially as that will is set forth in the life, teachings, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ." The Constitution also sets forth the basis of our governance "This church acknowledges Jesus Christ as its Head, and places its temporal affairs in the hands of its members as they shall act from time to time under His guidance." As has been true of Congregational churches since the days of the Pilgrims, we are an independent, self-governing body. We elect our own officers and committees on an annual basis from among our members and friends, search for and "call" our own ministers, and financially support our own programs. Routine business is handled by various committees, with all committees represented on our Church Council which is responsible for vision and oversight of all programs. The original Plymouth Church building was built in 1900 on donated land on Common Street in Belmont. This first sanctuary was destroyed by fire in 1942 during World War II. Building materials were scarce, and the congregation met for worship in a local school until the end of the war. The present sanctuary was inaugurated on Christmas Eve in 1946--despite the absence of a roof! Plymouth Nursery School was opened in the same year as a non-profit, semi-cooperative school sponsored by the church to benefit the greater community--the school continues today. The Parish House and steeple were completed in 1957. In 1999 we undertook a Capital Campaign to make our building accessible to the disabled, refurbish the sanctuary, renovate Gardner Hall ( our fellowship hall ) and kitchen, and update the parlor and other administrative offices. Our building is used by a variety of community agencies and programs, educational and mission activities. For information on church use, please contact the church office ( ).