Berkshire Place was established in 1888. It is an independent, non-affiliated home, owned and operated by Berkshire Retirement Home. In 1950, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts licensed the home as a rest home. The name Berkshire Place was adopted in 1960. A volunteer board of directors of local business leaders and health care professionals governs this private, non-profit organization. In addition, a nursing center was erected in 1963. Based in Pittsfield, Mass., Berkshire Place can accommodate 42 residents in three floors. It also offers 20 private bedrooms with private bathrooms for residential care living (assisted) and 22 beds on its nursing care floor.