For geographic and demographic information on the census-designated place Lunenburg, please see the article Lunenburg (CDP), Massachusetts.
Lunenburg was first settled in 1718 and was officially incorporated in 1728. The name stems from one of the titles of King George II of Great Britain, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg. Areas of neighboring Fitchburg were once part of Lunenburg, but broke away around this time because the walking distance to church and town meetings was too great for many. Closed in 2000, Whalom Park on Whalom Lake was a famous theme park in Lunenburg. It closed with the rising popularity of Six Flags New England in Agawam. It was home of the famous Flyer Comet, now demolished.