The first public library for the town of Barre was founded as a gift from Samuel Gates in 1857, but there was no building in which it could be housed. Quarters were shared with the Post Office until Barre Library Association raised the funds needed to build a library. This was made a reality through a generous gift by a former Barre native, Henry Woods. Work was started in June 1886, and the library opened to the public on August 30, 1887 at 2: 00 p.m. From 2000 - 2001, the library underwent renovation and expansion and held a grand reopening on July 21, 2001. In early 2007, the library's Children's Room was rendered useless after a copious rainstorm flooded the lower level, but Sheriff Guy Glodis' work crew, under the direction of the redoubtable Officer David Whitney, worked to restore the Children's Room to a better-than-before condition which was celebrated with much delight on May 12, 2007 at a grand reopening party.