Damascus is a census-designated place and an unincorporated area in Montgomery County, Maryland, United States.
In the early part of the 20th century, there was an incorporated municipality there for about a quarter century, but it no longer exists. The name "Damascus" comes from a reference in the Bible, presumably to Damascus, Syria, and was first used in an official document in 1816, when the United States Congress approved a postal route through the area, operated by Edward Hughes.
As an unincorporated area, Damascus' boundaries are not officially defined. Damascus is recognized by the United States Census Bureau as a Census-designated Place, and by the United States Geological Survey as a populated place located at 39°16′16″N 77°12′22″W / 39.27111°N 77.20611°W / 39.27111; -77.20611 (39.271040, -77.206098).