Jefferson is an unincorporated community located in Frederick County, Maryland, established in 1774, incorporated as a town in 1831. However, a year later, in 1832, the citizens of the town decided that municipal government is unnecessary, thus, it was disincorporated.
According to archaeologist Mary F. Barse, Jefferson was initially laid out in 1774 on a 96-acre (390,000 m2) tract owned by Mrs. Eleanor Medley and called New Town. It contained 40 rectangular lots – 20 aligned on each side of MD 180 – stretching between what are now Lander Road and Old Middletown Road. In 1795, twenty-two additional lots were platted by Elias Delashmutt on the western end of the original section, and called New Freedom. It was not until 1831 that both sections were incorporated as Jefferson by the Maryland Legislature.
Jefferson’s growth in the 19th century was due largely to traffic on the road between Frederick and the railroad town of Brunswick. Wagon traffic and livestock drives were frequent. Concomitantly, commercial development intensified to serve the surrounding farms as well as travelers. It was during this mid 19th century period of commercial growth during which Hemp's Meats was established in 1849. This butchering shop has continuously served the local community under Hemp family ownership since it opened its doors in 1849.