New Windsor, MD
New Windsor is a town in Carroll County, Maryland, United States. The population was 1,303 at the 2000 census. It is a suburb of Westminster, which is about 6 miles east of New Windsor on Maryland Route 31. It contains many neighborhoods, the most known being the 100-acre Atlee Ridge, or "The Ridge."
New Windsor was laid out in 1797 and originally named Sulphur Springs. It was renamed in the early 19th century, possibly after its English namesake. Since 1942, it has been headquarters for the international missionary efforts of the Church of the Brethren. These efforts inspired the international focus of the Peace Corps, whose first director had roots in the area, Sargent Shriver.. It was considered an escape for the rich, and because of the Sulphur Springs, had a renowned spa by the water.
New Windsor was home to Calvert College from 1852-1873 and later to New Windsor College.