Perryville is a town in Cecil County, Maryland, United States. The population was 3,672 at the 2000 census. The town is located off Interstate 95, on the north side of the mouth of the Susquehanna River.
Perryville was first settled in 1622 when Edward Palmer was granted a patent for a settlement on what is now Garrett Island. In the 17th century, Lord Baltimore granted George Talbot 31,000 acres (125 km²) of land which included the Perryville area. Before incorporation in 1882, the settlement was known as Lower Ferry (circa 1695), Susquehanna (circa 18th century), and finally was named Perryville after Mary Perry, the wife of John Bateman.
During the Revolutionary War, Perryville served as a staging area for the Continental Army. Colonel John Rodgers (1728–1791), who operated the ferry and tavern in Perryville, raised the 5th Company of the Maryland Militia. This company became part of the famous Flying Corps and was instrumental during the early stages of the Revolutionary War. George Washington frequently stopped at Rodgers Tavern on his trips from Virginia to New York. Rodgers Tavern was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.