Taneytown (TAW-nee-town) is a city in Carroll County, Maryland, United States. The population was 5,128 at the 2000 census. Taneytown was founded in 1754. Of the town George Washington once wrote "Tan-nee town is but a small place with only the Street through wch. the road passes, built on. The buildings are principally of wood." Taneytown has a history museum that displays the history of the town for visitors and citizens to see. The Bullfrog Road Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Taneytown is located at 39°39′26″N 77°10′14″W / 39.65722°N 77.17056°W / 39.65722; -77.17056 (39.657099, -77.170627).