Brunswick (formerly Pejepscot) is a town in Cumberland County, Maine, United States. The population was 20,278 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Portland-South Portland-Biddeford metropolitan area. Brunswick is home to Bowdoin College, the Bowdoin College Museum of Art, the Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum and the Naval Air Station Brunswick.
Settled in 1628 by Thomas Purchase and other fishermen, the area was called by its Indian name, Pejepscot, meaning "the long, rocky rapids part [of the river]". In 1639, Purchase placed his settlement under protection of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. During King Philip's War in 1676, Pejepscot was burned and abandoned, although a garrison called Fort Andros was built on the ruins during King William's War. During the war, in Major Benjamin Church's second expedition a year later on 11 September 1690 he arrived with 300 men as Casco Bay. He went up Androscoggin River to the English fort Pejepscot Fort (present day Brunswick, Maine). From there he went 40 miles up river an attacked a native village. 3-4 native men shot in retreat; Church discovered 5 english captives in the wigwams; six or seven prisoners butchered as an examplee; nine prisoners taken. A few days later, in retaliation, the natives attacked Church at Cape Elizabeth on Purpooduc Point, killing 7 of his men and wounding 24 others. On September 26, Church returned to Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
The 1713 Treaty of Portsmouth brought peace to the region between the Abenaki Indians and English colonists.