Carleton is a village in Monroe County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 2,562 at the 2000 census. The village is located within Ash Township and is served by Airport Community Schools.
Carleton, which was named after popular Michigan poet Will Carleton (1845–1912), was plated in 1872 by Daniel Matthews and incorporated into a village in 1911. Primarily an agricultural community with an operating grain elevator, the village also contains several small businesses and restaurants.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km²), all land.