Gladstone is a city in Delta County in the U.S. state of Michigan. First settled in 1877, Gladstone's original name was Saunders Point. The population was 5,032 at the 2000 census.
U.S. Routes 2 and 41 run concurrently through the city, connecting with Escanaba, nine miles (14 km) to the south. US 41 runs north to Marquette and US 2 runs east to Manistique. M-35 runs northwest 52 miles (84 km) to Gwinn and merges with US 2/US 41 south to Escanaba.
Throughout the early 19th century, the area where Gladstone exists was largely uninhabited other than the occasional trapper or fisherman. Gladstone was first settled in 1859 when the Hamilton Corporation of Fayette, MI began using it as a shipping point for selling and transporting of their iron ore. [Gladstone Centennial Book Community (1987). Gladstone Centennial History. Gladstone Centennial Book Community. Pp 12–47. ASIN B0010K5HFW]