Harper Woods, MI
Harper Woods is a city located on the eastside of suburban Detroit, Michigan, United States. The city is located in Wayne County. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 14,254.
Harper Woods was incorporated as a city on February 19, 1951 when the residents of Gratiot Township voted to incorporate as the City of Harper Woods. A Charter Commission was elected, a charter prepared and adopted, and a City Council elected. The City of Harper Woods came into existence on October 29, 1951 when the charter took effect and the first City Council was sworn in.
According to the city's website, the City of Harper Woods was so named because it was then a wooded area and because its main thoroughfare was Harper Avenue (named for Walter Harper, founder of the nearby Harper Hospital in Detroit).