Montrose is a city in Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 1,619 at the 2000 census. The city is situated within Montrose Township, but is politically independent.
Montrose was first settled in 1835 by Daniel Pifford as part of present neighboring Vienna Township. Originally named Pewonagowink Township when organized in 1848, but was later changed at the request of John Farquharson, a Scot, renamed the township to Montrose to impress his Scottish friends. The village of Montrose was incorporated from a portion of the township in 1899.
Montrose today is supported by local agriculture and commuter traffic to the greater Flint area. It has its own school system. Since 1972, it has held the Montrose Blueberry Festival annually, every third weekend in August.