Rapid City, MI
Clearwater Township is a civil township of Kalkaska County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2000 census, the township population was 2,382. The township was organized in 1867.
The first permanent white settler in what is now Kalkaska County was William George Copeland, a farmer born in Nottinghamshire, who located there in the fall of 1855, while it was still attached to Grand Traverse County. For the next twelve years, he and his wife were the only permanent white residents of the county. A dam had been built on the Barker Creek about the time Copeland moved there, but a planned mill was never built. The next permanent resident in the township was William H. Bockes, a native of Medina County, Ohio and a Civil War veteran. In June 1866, he purchased land in the township near Barker Creek. After returning to Ohio to marry his wife in October, they both returned immediately to take up residence. Another early resident in the Barker Creek area was John H.F. Letherby, born in England and moved to Canada at the age of 16. He settled in section 32 near Barker Creek in October 1866.
In section 36 in the southeast corner of the township, a few related families originally from Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, made their homes. D.P. Beebe, another Civil War veteran, was the first to arrive in the spring of 1867. Norman Ross, his father-in-law came in the summer of 1867 and became the first township supervisor when it was organized. A.C. Beebe, also a Civil War veteran, came in May 1868.