Golf first arrived in Battle Creek in the early 1890s with a course layout of nine holes bounded by Chestnut and Emmett Streets, Orchard Avenue and Sherman Road. It had a flat terrain, a caddy shack and a shaded porch. The desire for an 18-hole course and a clubhouse suitable for social functions led to the incorporation of the Battle Creek Country Club on April 27, 1906. Designed by world-renowned architect Willie Park, Jr., its lush 18-hole course is recognized as one of the finest private courses in Michigan. Golf privileges are restricted to a limited number of members and their immediate families. This allows keeping the course in good condition and creates circumstances where tee times are seldom required. The facility also features a spacious driving range as well as practice putting and chipping areas. A pro-shop, locker room and club storage facility are available for members' needs. The Battle Creek Country Club is located in Battle Creek, Mich.