Maple City, MI
Maple City is an unincorporated community of Kasson Township, Leelanau County, in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2000 census, the population of Kasson Township, inclusive of Maple City, was 1,577. It is located at 44°51′20″N 85°51′21″W / 44.85556°N 85.85583°W / 44.85556; -85.85583, between sections two and three of the township. The ZIP code is 49664.
Maple City had its beginnings in 1866 when William Parks and J. T. Sturtevant built a shoe peg factory on land containing several hundred acres of maple timber, and the community that grew up around it was at first known as "Peg Town". When applying for a post office, the name "Maple" was chosen, and when the post office was established on March 9, 1875, the name was given as "Maple City". William H. Crowell, who had purchased the shoe peg factory in that year, was the first postmaster. The factory burned down in 1880, and in 1882, Crowell built a sawmill that operated until 1916.
A Friends Meeting House was built on a hill just east of the community in 1890, which became a Catholic Church in 1916.