In 1945, Frank T. Hinks, donated more than 19 acres of land to the Alpena Township Board of Education. Hinks School, established in 1952, is located on the acreage and provides classes and extra curricular activities to more than 300 students from grades one to eight. The school s campus in Alpena, Mich., offers a gymnasium and a playground area that is connected to an open field. The campus property features a large wooded area with a nature trail leading through the woods to the banks of the Narrows, a waterway connecting Long Lake and Lake Huron. Hinks Schools location provides students opportunities for science experiments and nature activities, in addition to the regular curriculum. The elementary school is part of the Alpena Public Schools community, representing business people, farmers, professionals, service employees, children, parents, retirees and clergy.