Established in the late 1800s as an infirmary for injured and ill lumberjacks, St. Joseph s Medical Center is a 160-bed nonprofit hospital that serves residents of central Minnesota. Its more than 80 physicians represent more than 20 specialties, including birthing, emergency care, home care, bariatric surgery, rehabilitation, cardiac care, surgery, imaging, diabetes, mental health and sports medicine. In 1901 the hospital was sold to sisters from the Benedictine Diocese of Duluth. St. Joseph s Medical Center is located in Brainerd, Minn., and is a member of Duluth-based Benedictine Health System. The hospital also maintains St. Joseph s Foundation, an organization that raises funds for the hospital s initiatives.