Established in 1961, Columbia Heights City Hall was remodeled in 1973 and expanded in 1978, and includes fire department and council chambers. The Village of Columbia Heights was founded in 1898, spread in more than 1600-acres of land. It operates a wide range of departments, administration, community development, finance, library, police, fire, recreation and public works, each responsible for different services. Its administration department is responsible for, cable television administration, employment opportunities for city positions and other human resource functions. Its community development department is responsible for building permits and inspections, home improvements, homestead application, housing, licensing, and planning and zoning services. The recreation department provides programs for youth and adult recreation, and senior citizens. The hall is located in Columbia Heights, Minn.