Hengel Tradition Hengel Construction was founded in 1959 by a young carpenter, Tug Hengel. Operating out of a small shed north of Pillager, Minnesota, the company initially provided residential building services to local residents and played a key role in the early construction of several Lakes Area resorts. Almost 30 years later, the company shifted its focus to producing and distributing concrete and aggregate products and was renamed Hengel Ready Mix and Construction. Since that first load of ready mix was delivered in May of 1985, Hengel has become one of the area s largest and most dependable suppliers of concrete, aggregates, soils and sands. Throughout the company s early years, Tug and his wife Judy built a reputation founded on hard work, honesty and a concern for the local area. Today, a second-generation ensures that same tradition continues.