Anderson-Tully was founded by a group of six businessmen in 1889 to produce vegetable crates to satisfy markets in the Southern United States. The company started in Vicksburg, Miss., at an intersection of the Mississippi River and a major rail crossing. Over the next 110 years, the company continued to invest in equipment, people and timberland and has grown into one of the largest hardwood producers in the U.S. The company shifted from the container business to hardwood lumber. Anderson-Tully has a veneer mill, planer mill, two double-band sawmills and more than 25 dry kilns. The company employs nearly 20 graduate foresters and a handful of graduate wildlife biologists to manage land and natural resources. Anderson-Tully cuts 90 million feet of timber each year and will sustain that rate via replanting and conservation processes.