Little Canada, MN
Little Canada is a city in Ramsey County, Minnesota, United States. It is an inner ring suburb of the Twin Cities. The population was 9,773 at the 2010 census.
In 1844, French Canadian settler Benjamin Gervais moved north from St. Paul to claim land in order to build the first grist mill in Minnesota that was independent from the government. Today, the large lake on the east side of Little Canada bears his name (Lake Gervais). The grist mill was converted into a park, which is recognized as the birthplace of the city. Little Canada began as the township of New Canada in 1858. In the 1950s the township was threatened by the suburban sprawl of the ensuing larger communities that were formed, such as Maplewood. In 1953, the city leaders came together and established the village of Little Canada. It became a city in 1974. It was named Little Canada because the settler was Canadian.
The city is not shy about its Canadian heritage. For instance, its official symbol is an initial LC on a white fleur-de-lis with a red Maple Leaf background, and the Flag of Canada is displayed in council chambers.