Fremont is an unincorporated community in western Carter County, Missouri, United States. It is located on U.S. Route 60 about ten miles west of Van Buren. The community was founded in about 1887 and was named for its founder, A. J. Freeman; the suffix -mont meaning "mountain" is appropriate to this Ozarks community.
About the only remnants of the towns industry are the railroad embankments. "Ties" and other uses of lumber fuelled the town through the turn of the Twentieth Century.
An iron smelter was built about five miles north of town and the community of Midco was created. After the need for the iron diminished the community dissolved leaving only the smelter's smokestack as a reminder of the town's existence.