Escatawpa is a census-designated place (CDP) in Jackson County, Mississippi, United States. It is part of the Pascagoula, Mississippi Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 3,566 at the 2000 census.
Small clusters of people have inhabited the area now known as Escatawpa since well before the Civil War. At various points in its history, the town has been known as Dog River, Dutch Bayou, and Tugas. The name Escatawpa comes from the Choctaw Indian name for the area "Oestcatawpa"; which literally translates to "trim cane", with the word "uska" meaning "cane" and "tapa" meaning "cut" in Choctaw. In the early 19th century, settlers adopted the Indian name and eventually changed the spelling to its current form. The name Escatawpa is believed to have become official when Henry Ehlers opened the Escatawpa Post Office in 1855. In the year 1990, Escatawpa was annexed into Moss Point, located just south of Escatawpa.
Escatawpa is located at 30°29′21″N 88°33′4″W / 30.48917°N 88.55111°W / 30.48917; -88.55111 (30.489200, -88.551168).